Yet, many people still aren't sure how to play this classic. You might be familiar with the iconic Backgammon board design, but if you're asking yourself 'what actually are the rules of Backgammon?' then you've come to the right place.
How To Play
1. Both players pick a colour and have fifteen checkers each. For the initial Backgammon setup, the checkers should be arranged as follows: two checkers on each player’s number twenty-four 'point', five on each player’s thirteen point, three on each player’s eight point, and five on each player’s six point.
2. Both players have their own pair of dice.
3. The object of the game is to move all of your checkers from one side of the board to the other, and then get rid of them. The first player to get rid of all their checkers wins the game! (Note, both players move in opposite directions from another around the board)
4. To start the game, the first player throws their dice and moves their checkers according to the numbers shown on both dice. The checkers are always moved forward, to a lower-numbered point.
5. A checker can only be moved to an open point, one that is not occupied by two or more opposing checkers.
6. Once a player has moved all fifteen checkers into their home board, they can start getting rid of them, or 'bearing off'. A player bears off a checker by rolling a number that corresponds to the point on which the checker resides, and then removing that checker from the board.
7. Whichever players bears off their checkers first wins the game!
Now that you know the Backgammon rules, why not spoil yourself or gift to someone special a beautiful Backgammon set or game from the SUNNYLiFE range. We have something for everyone!
The Aurora Lucite Table Top Backgammon is one of our most beautiful Backgammon games. Our stunningly transparent Lucite game sets are a must-have for any lover of retro style and kaleidoscopic colour, designed to be just as beautiful out on display as during a match. With clear die, vibrant two-tone chips and a pastel ombre base, the Aurora Table Top Backgammon set will bring a sophisticated pop of colour to any home.
Pro Tip: The Aurora Mini Lucite Backgammon set makes the perfect stocking filler!
Get back to basics with our classic collection of wooden board games. With a printed cork inlay and modern, natural playing pieces the playful Majorelle Wooden Backgammon game set is a staple for any home. Featuring a colourful, geometric print the folding base transforms into its own wooden carry case. The fun starts with just a roll of the dice.
Designed with style in mind, the acrylic Backgammon Cocktail Tray is perfect for entertaining. Made from transparent acrylic and complete with white, transparent and sepia-toned playing pieces, this modern 2-in-1 tray includes everything you need for an afternoon game of backgammon by the pool. So classy!
Get cosy and enjoy with a night of classic board games. Once you've mastered Backgammon you can teach it to your loved ones too. Now, let the fun begin!
Posted by Cealan Macdonnell on